If you are a beginner, you must think about what to wear for kayaking. Kayaking is not only fun but also an adventure trip. Clothing is a piece of necessary equipment for kayaking. Clothes provide you insolation. So, for a safe and enjoyable kayaking trip, clothing is the main consideration.
What you wear can make a difference between a good or worse trip. Choosing the right clothing for kayaking is not an easy task. Many things you have to consider. So we’ll guide you through the expertise information that will provide you a better idea of what to wear for kayaking.
Some Basic Advice
• Avoid Cotton: Coton quickly absorbs water and stays wet for a long time, so in all layers, you should avoid cotton clothes. You can go with nylon or synthetic fabric.
• Wear a life jacket (PFD): Always wear life for your safety jacket when you are going on a water trip. Life jackets will provide you ample flotation, and you can avoid drowning accidents.
• Dress as weather conditions: wear wetsuit or drysuit as the weather is hot or harsh. And always check the water condition, not the air because on sunny days water can be freezing cold.
• Dress in layers: Layering clothing system provides thermal protection. Layers allow you to match your body according to the conditions. Layers can be divided into three categories: base layers, insulating layers, and outer layers.
• Wear loose clothes: To move easily and feel comfortable while kayaking for long periods, wear loose clothes.
what to wear for kayaking:
In warm weather and water:
In warm weather and where water is also warm, dressing for kayaking is simple. There you have to think about how you can stay calm, hydrated, and protect yourself from sun rays. In summer, if you go kayaking in the morning or late afternoon, your skin will not burn because in the time from 11 am to 3 pm, the sun is getting more powerful, and it feels too hot. So follow the instructions to dress up for kayaking:
• Inner layer or Underwear: When you are paddling in warm water, many people choose a swimsuit to wear as the first layer. One main thing that is comfortable is the primary thing when you are going in padding. However, you can choose sports underwear that is suitable according to your skin. Non-Cotton underwear will be better.
• Tops: Choose tops in which fabric is made of polyester and nylon blend with Lycra Material. Because of this fabric dry quickly, and also stretch easily. These fabric protect your skin from UV rays as it has high UPF ratings. The design also perfectly blend, secure fit, and flat seam formation offers you ultra-comfortable when you layered with other clothes. You can wear short or full sleeves.
• Lower part: You can use shorts in a regular fit so that you feel comfortable when you continuously change positions in your seat as you paddle. It will be better if you choose quick-dry pants to keep your bottom half dry. Try to avoid thin fabric pants like yoga pants because sometimes it may feel irritating when you paddle.
• Mid-layer: In warm water kayaking, mid-layer is not compulsory. You can use a short John wetsuit for summer kayaking. If you don’t wear a wetsuit or drysuit, then a jacket can be better for you. Synthetic fabric with Non-Abrasive can be the right choice. Choose a jacket with a Quick and Dry Transport System that keeps you cool and dry all the time.
Outer layer: For warm water kayaking, the outer layer is an optional choice. If you feel that any glimpse of rain or wind, then wear a waterproof jacket and pants. Choose a suitable jacket that gaskets at the wrists and neck to secure, and the water stays out. A quality paddling jacket you may choose. And if there is a sunny day and don’t expect rain, then you go with a breathable or water-resistant jacket to protect unwanted extreme weather.
• Footwear: Choosing the perfect footwear is an important task. The shoes should be lightweight, flexible, and breathable. The footwear that is made with quick-dry materials protects your toes and bottom of feet. Sandals will be less protective in kayaking because they collect gravel, sand, and muck when you put in or out the shoes. Avoid back sharp and flip flops because they come off quickly; sometimes, it may irritate you.
Nonetheless, Waterproof footwear can also be the right choice. The non-cotton socks with waterproof booties give you extra warmth. Again you can also wear waterproof socks inside the booties.
• Headwear: Choose heads with wide brims. If there is a cap leash, it will be perfect. Choose a breathable cap with UV protection power. If you choose a cap with the mesh feature, it will be more perfect for kayaking in summer as it provides enough ventilation.
Gloves: Gloves are very important to hold the grip on the paddle. You can choose a full finger, short finger, or fingerless gloves. For summer, kayaking half finger or fingerless gloves will be better because it offers you breathability. If you choose waterproof gloves, then it will be more satisfactory. Make sure the gloves are lightweight for summer kayaking.
• Sunscreen: Sunscreen is a simple and effective option to protect your skin from the sun rays. Select a sunscreen with a high SPF rating and apply and reapply it one or two hours later. If you choose a water sport sunscreen, it will be better.
• Sunglasses: To protect your eyes from UV rays and water splash, you need suitable sunglasses while kayaking. Choose sunglasses with a one-handed adjustable strap and nylon molded frame. Nylon frames are lightweight and robust. The frame is allowed to vent so that air flows freely. The lenses should not be sung fit.
• PFD (Personal Floating Device): For Summer, kayaking inflatable PFD will be better. Many experts recommend inflatable PFD for summer because it keeps cool in hot weather, and it is also lightweight. Choose breathable and comfortable PFD. But you can also use regular ones.
In cold weather cold water | what to wear for kayaking
Many people don’t want to go kayaking in winter as they face extreme conditions. But winter kayaking can be fun and comfortable if you dress you properly. Layering dress is suitable for winter kayaking, and this keeps you warm in cold weather. According to water temperature, wear thick clothes. Follow the steps below to dress up for winter kayaking:
Always choose light clothes as an inner layer. Fabric made with polypropylene is a good choice. Because these clothes suck your body sweat and stabilize your body temperature.
Wetsuit or Drysuit:
A wetsuit keeps you warm in cold weather. It is a thin layer made with neoprene fabric. The wetsuit helps to hold the body’s heat. In 0-degree Fahrenheit water temperature, it restrains the loss of body heat and keeps Yorkshire dry. Being wetsuit stretchy you can move easily while you paddling. Choose full hooded wetsuit or full wetsuit first winter kayaking.
Drysuit wear in extremely cold weather. It’s like extra protection. If you layer with a dry suit, it will keep you completely dry and keep you insulated inside even in very cold conditions. It is thicker than wetsuits. Drysuits are usually made with nylon with waterproof material coated like polypropylene or laminate. If you wear a dry suit, be careful to wear underwear. If you wear an extra insulating layer, you may face overheating. So choose mid layer lightweight and comfortable clothes.
Headwear is an essential element in cold weather. You can lose much body heat through your head so wear a comfortable skull cap to hold your body warm. It is also better to choose a helmet as it gives you warmth and protection from rocks and cold water splash.
Internship cold weather, your hands can be in vain so wear the right pair of gloves that keep you insulated. Also, it will be fun to paddling with gloves. Thick padded with full finger gloves are ideal for cold weather. Choose nylon or neoprene model gloves.
While paddling your feet can get wet with cold water and it can be a big problem for kayaking. The wrong pair of shoes can vain your trip. So choose waterproof shoes with thick neoprene socks.
what to wear for kayaking | In warm air and cold water:
The dressing is a little bit tricky In warm air and cold water. In warm air, you feel hot, but when you go paddling and changing your position while paddling, it is obvious your lower part will be wet. Coldwater sucks your body heat in a few seconds. So be prepared for this situation. You can wear a wetsuit or drysuit. The long John wetsuit will be perfect for this situation. Also, you can wear dry Tops and pants that keep you dry. But the most necessary thing is footwear. Because your feet can get wet with cold water and it can bring a terrible situation. So choose waterproof footwear to keep your feet dry.
Some effective tips for cold weather
Many times peddlers engaged in trouble for lacking a proper plan. So to enjoy a successful winter kayaking trip, we give some tips below:
• Advanced planning: to avoid an unwanted risk in winter, do advance preparation, and adequately. Because in winter the weather conditions change quickly so sometimes long term planning is not so effective. While planning, consider wind force and direction, air-water temperature. To decide the route, you can get information from the Local Canoeing Association. It will be better if you print out the map on paper.
• Warm drink: carry hot drinks like tea, coffee, or milkshake in a thermal bottle. While kayaking in winter, take a short break and drink some hot drinks, this helps you to warm up your body and gives you inspection.
• Maintain time: the daylight ends soon in winter, and the temperature drops quickly at night. In this situation, you can face much trouble. So be planned appropriately, maintaining the time.
• Sunglasses: Not only for summer but also for winter kayaking sunglasses play a vital role. It will protect your eyes from cold air or snow.
• Watertight boat: check and double-check that your boat is defect-free. If you notice any crack repair it thoroughly as you don’t need to stress while paddling. A watertight boat makes your trip satisfied. Carry a sponge to remove excess water from the boat.
• Pack extra gear: don’t take any risk. Pack down a spare dress in a dry and waterproof bag. In the bag, you can also carry your mobile, keys, etc. It will provide you extra safety and security.
We have suggested to you all the guides on what to wear for kayaking. In different weather and different situations, clothing matters a lot. In a different climate, the clothing style also changed, and we have to dress according to the condition; otherwise, it creates such a mess like hypothermia. So we work hard to provide you the best indication that will make your trip safe and comfortable. You also keep in mind the weather. If the weather becomes worse, you should cancel the trip. And always be prepared for the worst circumstance.